Sunday, November 4, 2012

Re-Finish Kitchen Chairs

Some of you may be able to relate... you have a set of dining chairs for your kitchen that never matched each other and never matched your kitchen at all, and if they did match your style before, lets face it we come up with new styles all the time and it is time for a change. In my case, I am newly married and picking and choosing my purchases and projects. The kitchen chairs have made their way into the projects pile, along with  the kitchen table, two dressers, shelves, a couple closets, the basement and so forth (stay tuned).

Okay, so you are probably wondering how I made my kitchen chairs work with what I have and what I wanted.

Step one: I took the chairs outside and sanded them on every surface until I could not sand anymore.


Step Two:
I took some left over ply wood from my garage placed it on the grass and then put one chair at a time on the ply wood (cardboard works just fine too). I then spray painted the chairs with primer.

Step Three:
After I had completely primed all the chairs, especially the darker green ones, I was able to then spray paint the chairs a heirloom white color (which in this case is almost identical to my kitchen cabinets and an off white color).


And there you have it, a brand new kitchen chair set. A coat of paint in the right way can produce a huge improvement that everyone can love. Not only did I only spend about $60 total on the paint, I saved hundreds of dollars by not buying a brand new set of chairs. Generally, new stylich chairs cost around $100-$300 per chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment